Don't you love that feeling when you try a new recipe for the first time and you immediately realize that you have found one to add to your repertoire? That is exactly what happened with this recipe. Last week, I had just finished making my chocolate crinkle cookies when I came across a recipe for this lemony variation on that classic holiday cookie. I have to admit that I wasn't sure what to expect at first, but these cookies are nothing short of delicious. The meyer lemon and cardamom both lend their bright flavors in this recipe, giving these cookies a little bit of a kick. This combination of flavors makes them the perfect break from the cloying and overly sweet cookies that we all eat during the holiday season and it makes them so unique and so special, that I knew I would be blogging about them.
Lemon Cardamom Crinkle Cookies
Source: Cooking Channel
Yield: 3 dozen
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp cardamom
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
zest of 4 meyer lemons
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 extra large eggs
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cardamom, baking powder, and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with a hand mixer for just over one minute. Then add the eggs and vanilla and continue beating until the mixture is perfectly combined. Add half the flour mixture and beat on low until the flour is incorporated into the wet ingredients. Repeat with the other half of the batter.
- Cover the cookie dough and let it rest in the fridge for about half an hour.
- When it is time to work with the dough, preheat the oven to 350 and line two baking sheets with cardamom. Place powdered sugar in a dish.
- Form dough in tablespoon-sized balls. Cover them in powdered sugar. Make sure that they are coated with a thick layer of sugar because the sugar will dissolve as the cookies bake and you want some of it to still stay visible to get that powdered-crinkle-cookie effect.
- Place the doughs on the cookie sheet, leaving room for the cookies to spread and bake for 8-10 minutes. They will be ready when the edges look a little golden. After removing them from the oven, let them sit on the cookie sheet for two minutes before placing them on a wire rack to cool.