Tuesday, February 21, 2012

TWD: Chocolate Truffle Tart



Before I even looked at this recipe, I knew that I would have to make this one on a day that I was having company.  The name alone, I thought, conveyed its decadence. It turns out that I was wrong.  I assumed that the tart would be sweet (it was);  require a coffee alongside of it (it did); and pack more calories than my postpartum self cares to consume at the moment (it probably does).  However, what I had not counted on was the intense chocolate flavor coming from the bittersweet chocolate that is the main ingredient in the tart.  In the end, it turns out that the calories don't concern me that much because I can't eat more than a sliver of this dessert before deciding that I am done.  It is actually so rich that even I, a consummate chocoholic, can resist overindulging in it.

Before baking it, I was not sure what to expect in terms of the tart's consistency.   Would the filling be creamy?  Would it be like a mousse?  Or, would it be like a brownie?  As it turns out, the filling has a consistency that is somewhere between that of a fudge brownie and that of a mousse.  It holds its shape perfectly when it is cut and it is soft to the bite, but it is denser than a mousse.  The almost cookie-like chocolate crust and the biscotti pieces that are folded into the filling act as perfect foils to the filling's soft texture.

While the recipe as written makes smaller tartlets, I used a 10" tart pan to make one large tart.  I figured that this would be less time consuming; after all, time is of the essence when you have a four-month-old baby dictating your schedule.  Also, I had spent some extra time making the biscotti for this recipe from scratch, so I figured a shortcut was warranted elsewhere.

Making one tart worked out perfectly.  I found that the crust cooked in 20 minutes and, after that, the filled tart  took another 20 minutes to bake.  While this recipe was time consuming, it was pretty easy.  So easy, in fact, that I think I will make tarts more often from now on.  That said, while I did enjoy this one, I personally prefer tarts with a lighter flavor.  If only strawberries were in season....

If you would like to get the recipe so that you too can indulge in a slice of utter decadence, please visit A Whisk & a Spoon, Spike Bakes, Good Eats and Sweet Treats, or Cookbookhabit.

20 comments:

  1. We loved this too. After seeing yours, I am wondering if mine was cooked long enough or if I didn't let it cool enough. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic but yes, a few berries on the top change the whole thing completely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours looks so fudgey and rich! These were great. I only made three tarts and it worked for us, but then I was wishing the next day that I had made the entire recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These weren't what I had hoped they would be, either. The filling was just too much for me, which is surprising, as that's a pretty rare occurrence. Your tart is lovely, though! And now you have an easy, delicious chocolate dough recipe to use later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! And yes, calorie-laden they are. Perhaps I'm foolish and doing Weight Watchers and Tuesdays With Dorie at the same time, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That slice looks perfect. And I bet it was delicious with homemade biscotti.

    I answered your question on my blog, but in case you don't get back there I'll answer it here as well. I really enjoy making biscotti, but my husband loves the Nonni's biscotti at Costco and so I usually buy the large tub when I go there. When I went this past weekend, it was the first time that I saw salted caramel mini-biscotti and I loved it folded into this tart. I wish I had the recipe! I also used Trader Joe's Fleur de Sel caramel drizzled on top. The salty caramel really enhanced the chocolate flavors. Even though I made 4 inch tarts we could only eat half of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! I like that you made a single tart. The individual ones were so rich that we ended up splitting one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tart looks delicious! And I totally agree, it's easy to use a little moderation when eating them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, was wondering how the texture would turn out. Your slice looks delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tart looks amazing! I agree, this tart is way too rich to eat more than a few bites at a time. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agree - can't wait for strawberry season! Just read your post on the white loaves as well. I, too, bake because I love the process / step-by-step of everything. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful tart...it looks so creamy! This one was a chocoholics dream! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tart looks great! And you're right just a bite is enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you or the lovely comments everyone. All of your tarts looked lovely as well.

      Delete
  14. I wish I had thought to make a single tart - and you are right, a few bites of this was more than enough.
    The inside view of your tart is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well it looks just beautiful! I agree....very rich....but very yummy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your tart looks amazing. I, too, made the 10" tart and was glad I did. I think the small tartlettes would have been too much forone person. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice looking tart.

    ~ Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good choice on the one large tart. I ended up slicing each of my tartlets into 6 2-bite pieces. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooooh... yours looks like a truffle! Mine were more brownie like.
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete